Re: X getting close (was X won't start)

At sometime around 9:47 PM +0200 on 6/18/02, Michel Lanners wrote thus:
On  18 Jun, this message from Marc Stergionis echoed through cyberspace:
Somehow your default keymap got changed. Check out

http://www.debian.org/ports/powerpc/keycodes

 Well I kinda went nuts and did a clean install of 2.2r6 and X worked
 right out of the gate.

Hmmm... Any specific reason to do that? It seems like a big step
backwards to me..

Me too, but (under woody) my keycodes were a mess, display seemed off (of course it seems to be off now, too) and Chris pointer to solve the keycodes problem could *not* be accessed on my second machine (Mac OS X) although I could get it to the point of www.debian.org/ports/powerpc ... don't know why

Since I could still work on the G4 while letting Debian install on the 8600, I figured what the heck ...

 Except!!

 I have no mouse. Well I do (I think) but the cursor is frozen at the
 bottom center of the screen.

 I can't seem to find anything in XF86Config that would affect this??

What mouse setting are you using in X? What kernel? Is gpm running? On
what device?

Kernel 2.418-0.9a? that's what pops up when I do virtual console.

Mouse,
Protocol "BusMouse:
Device "/dev/mouse"

Those are the only things uncommented (the others appear to apply to specific pointing devices and/or second mice.

gpm? I don't know how to find out if that's running.

 > And the graphical login is stuffed down in the bottom half of the
 screen as if I can't see the bottom of it (there's black border
 around the top, left and right, but I can't discern a border on the
 bottom, that white box is jammed down in there...

You're using XFree 3.3.something out of 2.2r6, right? I'm not sure that
worked on your 'control' video card at all. But most importantly, you'll
have a hard time finding someone to help debug XFree 3 :)

May I suggest you dist-upgrade to woody, install XFree 4.1, and move on
from there?

I agree. I was going to say that I hoped I didn't lose the progress I've made ... but not sure that any has been made. Although I remember that the video was weird in woody too, like there was more on the bottom of the screen I couldn't see.

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis