X getting close (was X won't start)

I was able to squeeze out a second dselect update to woody which seemed to install alot more. But still having trouble with video settings.

Been fiddling around with XFree86Config-4 but can't seem to get the right combination.

my Device
identifier is "Generic Video Card"
Driver "ati"
Option "Use FBDEV" "true"

Mointor
Idenfitier "Generic Monitor"
HorizSync 28-50
VertRefresh 43-75
Iotuin "DPMS"

Screen
Identifier
Control
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display
Default Depth 24

subsection display
Depth 1
Modes "832x624"  "640x480"

and of course repeated down to depth 24.

I have tried putting in the readouts from Apple System Profiler where it looked like they went in XFree86Config-4 to no avail.

I have a stock 8600-300 with added memory. ASP reports
under display:

Card Name Control
Model AAPL,343S1154

XF86Config-4 does not like the term "Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display"

among others.

startx specifically reports

Undefined Monitor "Apple Multiple Scan 15AV Display" referenced by Screen "Control."

What does config want to see there!!

-ms
--
Many have Montana envy ... the lucky get to live here!
Marc Stergionis