Re: Booting PowerMac G3 OldWorld....

> Well this was a side trip for you. The bootstrap partition and yaboot only
> work with NewWorld architectures (at least until benh gets his grubbies on
> quik ;-) .
Yup, that's quite firmly engrained in my brain housing group by now :)

> There are 2 main choices with your OldWorld: quik and BootX. Others
> have also reported problems with quik using OldWorld G3's, so probably
> your best bet is to just re-install a minimal MacOS and use BootX, unless
> you want to try some more combinations with quik first.

I am going to keep trying with quik, one thing I found on the NetBSD page was
that I may need to run SystemDisk to upgrade openfirmware which I have not
done, but am getting ready to soon.

> If you're going for quik again, here are the essential steps:
>
> Install Debian GNU/Linux. When you get to the Make Hard Drive Bootable
> step, run it. Check what boot-device it set for you with
>
> nvsetenv
>
> If it looks OK, reboot. Type Linux if you ever get to the boot: prompt.
>
> BTW, are you using woody's boot-floppies (3.0.23)? There were many
> bugs fixed between potato and woody, even some bugs in quik itself.
> If not, it would be well worth the effort to download a couple
> floppy images (hfs-boot-floppy and root.bin) and try installing
> a system that way.
The disks are woody disks, not sure what version I'll take a look and make
sure I've got the latest ones...

Corey