Re: Booting PowerMac G3 OldWorld....

On Tue, Jun 11, 2002 at 08:47:22AM -0500, Corey Kovacs wrote:
> Ok, last night I realized that the problem might be that I patitioned the
> drive for yellowdog using BootX to boot so I repartitioned the drive.
> I tried yaboot again so I cleared out the drive with the "i" command, then
> created the 800K bootstrap partition using "b", then a root partition using
> "p", then 3P called it Root, then swap with "p", 4P and called it "swap", the
> installer initialized and mounted everything, then I tried yaboot, no good,
> again told me it was an Oldworld machine (I thought it might be a mistake if
> I'd done too many things wrong, this just verified yaboot was right) so then
> I went back to the partitioning, used "r" to move the bootstrap partition to
> 4P, used the "make system bootable" option, then ran nvsetenv boot-device
> `ofpath /dev/hda2` as hda2 was not the root instead of hda3 from a shell.
>
> Long story short, it still won't boot.  I am going to try to do the whol thing
> over without the bootstrap partition and see how that goes. Before I venture
> off, does anyoine see anything that I might have done wrong?

Well this was a side trip for you. The bootstrap partition and yaboot only
work with NewWorld architectures (at least until benh gets his grubbies on
quik ;-) .

There are 2 main choices with your OldWorld: quik and BootX. Others
have also reported problems with quik using OldWorld G3's, so probably
your best bet is to just re-install a minimal MacOS and use BootX, unless
you want to try some more combinations with quik first.

If you're going for quik again, here are the essential steps:

Install Debian GNU/Linux. When you get to the Make Hard Drive Bootable
step, run it. Check what boot-device it set for you with

nvsetenv

If it looks OK, reboot. Type Linux if you ever get to the boot: prompt.

BTW, are you using woody's boot-floppies (3.0.23)? There were many
bugs fixed between potato and woody, even some bugs in quik itself.
If not, it would be well worth the effort to download a couple
floppy images (hfs-boot-floppy and root.bin) and try installing
a system that way.