new iBook 700 LCD / ohci1394 driver.

Hi all,

not strictly a Debian question, so please forgive me ...

My new 700MHz iBook arrived. Compared to my 600MHz iBook, there are two
immediate differences:

 - The LCD backlighting doesn't seem as uniform. There is a distinct
   "halo" around the lower left and lower right corners, presumably where the
   cold cathode flourescent lamp is.

 - The latch feels "sticky" and it is generally harder to open/close the
   machine. It's as if the two bits of metal are grinding against each other?

I'm more concerned about the LCD issue. If this is a "one-off" on my machine
I'd be inclined to get it replaced under warranty (it only arrived yesterday,
so they assure me that this will be no problem). On the other hand if every
machine has this I'm wasting my time.

Does anyone else see a halo around the lower corners?

My initial scheme for installing debian was to put the new iBook into firewire
target mode (hold down "T" as the system boots), connect it up to my old
iBook, and then partition, format, and copy from the old iBook to the new one
over firewire.

Using Ben's kernel 2.4.19-pre8-ben0 I didn't seem to be able to get the
ieee1394 driver to recognise the iBook "target". I had the relevant modules
loaded (I think) -- 1394, OHCI1394, SPB2, SCSI, SCSI hard disk -- but
repeatedly plugging the target in produced no response on the old iBook (no
kernel messages) and then rmmod'ing the ohci1394 module caused a kernel
panic. Ooops.

I guess the ohci1394 driver doesn't like the iBook hardware yet?

What a shame, this was going to be a lovely method to do a super-quick
super-easy installation.

Thanks!

Will