Re: X server 100% CPU

Interesting...
I commented out the DRI and glx (opengl or any other 3D modules) in my X config file and now I have not seen the problem again... However, I do remember that everytime it happened I was running Galeon, so it could be that galeon was somehow leaking memory, but, not that I was looking for that in particular.

There might be some kind of conflict between the 3D modules for X and Galeon???

Thanks for your help...

I used to see something like this on my slackware box, and I think it was due to a memory leak in netscape. After a while it would start paging uncontrolably, and it was hard to get control of my system. The solution was to start using Mozilla.

does it start happening if you leave your system idle for a while (but with some programs running?) With netscape even if I left the system untouched for several hours sometimes it would start paging like mad.

See if there is a particular program that you are running when this happens, maybe it has a bug that results in an infinite loop.

Mike
--
Michael D. Crawford
http://www.goingware.com/

Subscribe to the GoingWare Newsletter at http://www.goingware.com/newsletter/

Luis M
System Administrator/Web developer

LatinoMixed.com

lemsx1@hotmail.com

The chief cause of problems is solutions.
               -- Eric Sevareid
Be secured. Sign your emails. Get my public signature here: http://www.latinomixed.com/lems1/public-a.asc

Boycott los canales de habla hispana Univision y Telemundo: http://www.latinomixed.com/tvboycott.php