Re: Problems with fonts in Gnome/GTK

On 02 Jun 2002 13:58:30 +0200
Michel D <daenzer@debian.org> wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-06-01 at 20:23, Shawn Dunn wrote:
> > Hey there all, I'm having a problem of sorts here, I just installed gnome1.4
> > via apt-get, and now anything that uses glade, or gtk for its UI interface
> > bits, prints almost ALL the text in the menus, and dialogs as a bunch of
> > little boxes, made of dotted lines, when I was running YDL, deleting my
> > ~/.gtkrc took care of this, but no such beastie exists in Debian, anybody
> > have any idea how to fix this??????
>
> I experienced that problem when upgrading X from 4.0.x to 4.1.0, when
> running a 4.1.0 X server with a 4.0.x font server.
> /etc/init.d/xfs restart took care of that.
>
> If that's not it, it could be related to locales and/or encodings. Make
> sure you use a font with a standard encoding like iso8859-1.

Hey, thanks, restarting xfs at least fixed part of the problem, I can see black text again, but I use Sylpheed for my mail proggy, and everytime I recieve Mail, the mailbox the mail is recieved into in the tree list turns red, and THAT text is still the little boxes, how do I tell GTK what font, locale, and/or encoding to use as a default?

				--Shawn