Re: Reinstalling Debian Woody

On Mon, Apr 22, 2002 at 09:55:18AM +0200, Lars D. Nood?n wrote:
> Ok.  Here are some more concrete suggestions regarding the installation
> guide.  The are probably many other people without floppies or with only
> non-booting USB floppies.
>
>  http://www.uk.debian.org/releases/woody/powerpc/install
>
> For me, the hard part was finding which ISO image to use *and* which CD
> burner to ask the support staff for.  In this case it was the rescue CD
> and Roxio Toast (which had to be dug out of storage and installed).
>
> Section 4.2.3, "Where to Find Installation Files", seems to focus only on
> floppy images.  Section 4.1 mentions the official bootable cds[1].
> After that there is no (obvious) mention in section 4 of CDs or common
> Macintosh software for burning ISO images.

www.debian.org/CD/faq makes an effort to address this subject. Maybe we
could link there?

> The next sections are "4.3 Creating Floppies from Disk Images", "4.4
> Preparing Files for Hard Disk Booting", and "4.5 Preparing Files for TFTP
> Net Booting"  These are great.  [2] Here is the place to have a short
> section there about preparing for using ISO images and also a link to the
> vendor page.
>
> BTW normally, I burn CDs using linux on an Intel machine:
>
> 	mkisofs -v -r -T -J -V "Debian" -o /tmp/woody.img .
> 	su -
>
> 	# test image
> 	mount -t iso9660 -o ro,loop=/dev/loop0 /tmp/woody.img /mnt/cdrom/
> 	ls /mnt/cdrom/
> 	umount /mnt/cdrom/
>
> 	# find a SCSI target
> 	cdrecord -scanbus
>
> 	# write target
> 	cdrecord -v speed=4 dev=0,0,0 /tmp/woody.img
>
> 	eject && exit
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Lars
>
> [1] I have been trying for 2 weeks to order the official CDs via the local
> student book shop.  At this pace it will take more weeks, so I may
> eventually go straight to a vendor.

It might be worth the wait, woody release is imminent.

> [2] I had started with the instructions in section 4.4, which were very
> clear, but had to abort.  By that time I had repartitioned the hard drive
> and could not boot from the hard drive.  Not only that, but the Mac OS 9
> install CD does not recognize the partitions nor seem to allow
> restoring/changing the partitions, so I had to find another method.  Not
> having access to any floppy drive, the next choice is bootable CD.

Drive Setup doesn't recognize any previous partitions. It forces you to
partition the whole disk, or nothing.

I've just finished a script that might work for you,
cvs.debian.org/boot-floppies/powerpc-specials/mini-iso.sh

Do you feel like being a guinea pig? I made a bootable CD with it last
weekend, that makes a total of 1 AFAIK. If you have improvements, I'd
love to hear about them.