Re: Macintosh Microphone Jack - how do I make a recording?

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 11:23:54PM -0500, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> Katsunori Tanaka <tanaka@computer.org> writes:
>
> > The microphone jack on such Macintosh is similar to standard
> > microphone jack but slightly different.  Apple's "PlainTalk"
> > microphone will fit for your Mac.  It has three-poles plug longer
> > than standard microphone plug and the third pole is assigned to DC
> > power supply for microphone's internal amplifier.
>
> Thank you Katsunori - that helps some but I'd like to digitize tape
> recordings (for medical transcription). I was of the notion the
> macintosh microphone jack was just like any microphone-input but I
> suppose not. Do you know if adapters for this type of thing are
> available?

Actually, if you want input from a tape player, a normal
microphone/headphone connector will be fine.  It's only that if you try to
use an unamplified (normal) microphone that you'll run into trouble.

The audio device is /dev/dsp, but in order to make recordings, you'll need
software such as sox (which provides programs rec and play), and you may
need to use aumix or xmix to make sure that microphone input is selected
for recording.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/