Re: Install on a PowerMacintosh 7200/90

On Tue, Apr 16, 2002 at 10:48:05PM +0300, Janne Karjanlahti wrote:
> Hello!
>
> >>Only real problem is that because that version of Open Firmware doesn't
> >>drive display, I have never actually seen quik to boot, only blank
> >>screen. After linux starts to boot everything is ok. I haven't figured
> >>out yet how I can boot different kernels, ie how to use quik boot-menu
> >>with my blank screen...
> >
> >Right. You can't, unless you hook up another machine.  It's sending
> >and receiving over the modem port.  Nice to hear it worked well in
   ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >spite of that. The potato version does _not_ work so well, so I'd
> >advise installing woody.
>
> Yes, I know that. I wonder if I can use Quik bootloader kernel selection
> with blank screen, ie. pressing right keycombinations.?

IOW, it's not paying attention to the keyboard at that time.

What you can do, I've had this work to a limited extent, is nvsetenv boot-file
to the new kernel image, with the option to boot back in with an installer
floppy to set it back or run quik.

> It's too risky to update new kernel unless I can safely keep backup
> kernel, in case something just skrews wrong...
>
> Somebody mentioned keeping backup-kernel on floppy disk. How can I do
> this? With ybin? RTFM? ;-)

ybin is no help with quik.

It's very easy with BootX to try different kernels; you don't still have
MacOS do you?

It's possible to use a miBoot floppy with different kernels; it has a
zImage, System and Finder files. This is the same as the installation
floppy. Probably you could mount it as -t hfs and replace the image
in Linux.