Re: benh work on quik?

>benh:
>
>You posted a note about RAM for your 8500, and planning
>to do some work on BootX. I wonder if you'd also consider
>working on quik. I've done some playing around.

Yes sure ! I happily discovered how well quik worked automagically
from debian install on this 8500 ;)

>I've done some comparing of code between yaboot and quik, and really
>very little of it depends on OF. Quik has to rely on a bootblock, I
>guess, so first.b is a given. But, it seems to me, once we're out of OF,
>that we should be able to make yaboot run. It is the same architecture,
>after all.

Yes, except a few memory management tweaks and other workarounds for
OF bugs.

>I tried just substituting yaboot for second.b, that would have been
>too easy. But I think almost the same concept should fly. I noticed
>the memory map that's set up for second.b doesn't leave enough room
>for yaboot (it leaves about 48k and yaboot needs around 160k IIRC) so
>I bolluxed up the memory map a bit trying to give it more room - but
>I'm obviously way over my head here and it didn't work.

I'll give it a look

>I guess next best, would be to substitute the applicable parts of
>yaboot into quik, or port yaboot to oldworlds (but I don't think
>Ethan's into that). I just don't know of any reason why it shouldn't
>work in theory at a top level: get booted with quik type bootblock
>code, continue with yaboot in all its glory.

Yes.

>If you're not planning to work on this, could you at least point me
>in the right direction so I can continue experimenting?

I'll try to hack on this next week-end, I'll let you know. I'm not
completely sure yet what is broken, but I do have some clues, I want
to fix first.b to be able to load yaboot ELF, though if that ends up
bloating it too much, I'll revert to generating a special yaboot
binary format that is simpler to load & parse.

Ben.