Re: two sound questions

Weird. I had tried that, and it didn't start esd, so I assumed that wasn't the way to do it. As it turns out, ~/.xsession wasn't getting sourced, and /etc/X11/Xsession (which appeared to be what was supposed to do that) wasn't even checking for it. There was a variable ($STARTUP) pointing at it, but the script didn't do anything with it.

So I added a few lines to check for it and source it. Now my problem is that esd stays running when I log out.

I think it's worth noting that I didn't have a ~/.xsession file until I created it, so it just contains the line:

/usr/bin/esd &

The reason I don't specify a window manager is this: I'm using the Fluxbox window manager, and not KDE or Gnome. I am, however, running kdm (for the graphical login and the ability to shut down without logging in). When I installed Fluxbox, the option to use it automagically appeared in the menu in the login window, and I have no idea how it's actually run. Is ~/.xsession maybe just for startx run from a console, and there's a different way you're supposed to start things if you're using a graphical login?