Re: Problems setting time on iBook2

On Thu, Apr 04, 2002 at 05:41:40PM +0200, Wouter Eerdekens wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm having problems setting the time on my iBook2. It dual-boots
> Mac OS X and Debian Woody.
>
> When I set the time in Mac OS X, and I boot Linux I get the following:
>
> (taken from bootmessages:
>
> System time was Thu Apr  4 15:27:37 UTC 2002
> Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference...
> System Clock set. System local time is now Thu Apr  4 07:27:38 UTC 2002
> <snip>
> Setting the System Clock using the Hardware Clock as reference...
> System Clock set. Local time: Thu Apr  4 09:27:52 CEST 2002
>
> It doesn't matter if I include rtc in /etc/modules or not...
>
> System configuration:
>
> /etc/localtime -> /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Brussels
>
> I have UTC=yes in /etc/default/rcS

>From what I can figure out, you "can't" set UTC=yes if you also
want to use your powerpc as a Mac. Because MacOS assumes you're on
local time, and that it's responsible for adjusting stuff accordingly.

I fought it for a month or so before giving in. The time is kept in
PRAM, so it's referenced both by MacOS and Linux. If there's a way
to make MacOS understand the setting differently, I don't know of it.