Re: Installing onto a powerbook for the first time

On Tue, 02 Apr 2002 21:53:15 +0100
Hani Jabr <hani@iinet.net.au> blurted in message
[🔎] 3CAA1A3A.F545D060@iinet.net.au:

> Dudes,
>
> I started installing Debian onto a powerbook (or any PowerPC hardware
> for that matter) for the first time.  When I originally set the system
> up I predicted that Linux may be on the cards at a later stage and I
> split the hard disk into 2, and left roughly half the disk unused.  I
> started the install and immediately ran into the problem of trying to
> get it to boot given I was trying to preserve the Mac OS 9 and X
> partitions.  So now I'm stuck.  Is there any way out without trashing
> the existing partition or throwing hardware at it?

Hiya,
	the Apple_Bootstrap partition doesn't have to be first. There is a good
reason it's suggested, but running ybin will adjust your OF variables to
boot from the right partition.

The reason it's suggested you do it that way is that when you lose all your
OF variables, OF boots the first partition on the drive. If the yaboot one
is first, then you'll get your menu and away you go. Otherwise, when it
happens, you need to know which partition yaboot is on, and you need to drop
into OF (Command-Option-O-F) and boot from that partition: boot hd:15,yaboot
(change the 15 to your Apple_Bootstrap partition).

(The OS that's really fussy about drive layout is NetBSD).

L.
--
 Liam Bedford | It's just the facts of life