Re: Kernel help for newbie

On 1 April, 2002 20:45, Chris Tillman wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 03:50:32PM -0600, Derek Hall wrote:
> > I am rather new to *nix so maybe I am overlooking something obvious....
> >
> > I have a PM 7600 running Debian (kernel 2.2.15) on which I am attempting
> > to update the kernel.  I have tried both rsyncing benh's latest source
> > (for 2.4.19 I think) and downloading his pre-complied 2.4 oldworld
> > Powermac kernel.  The problem is that even after replacing vmlinux and
> > System.map in /boot (and installing the modules) upon reboot it still
> > tells me I am running 2.2.15. I have tried replacing the actual files as
> > well as just making symlinks in /boot to the new kernel and System.map.
> >
> > Compiling the source gave no errors but installing that resulting vmlinux
> > and System.map seemingly had no effect either (did a uname -a and it
> > still said 2.2.15 pre 19 (or something like that))
> >
> > I am booting the machine via floppy using miBoot.  Do I have to replace
> > the zImage file on the miBoot floppy? If so how do I make a new zImage
> > from my new kernel? I had this idea as you do need to point BootX to the
> > correct kernel after an update, for example.
>
> Yes, that's your problem. It's using the kernel on the floppy.
>
> I'm pretty sure the zImage for a 2.4 kernel won't fit on a floppy. We had
> to increase the size of our floppy image for the new-powermac flavor to
> 2.88M, and I don't think there's any real floppy drives for the Mac that
> size.
>
> You would either need to use BootX, or set up quik on this machine. Setting
> up quik may be a bit tricky, because probably your OpenFirmware I/O goes
> to the modem port rather than keyboard and screen.

i had the hardest time trying to figure this one out too and figured it out
with some friendly advice from #debianppc.

i was using bootx to boot into linux, and i would get 2.2.19 as a kernel
version even though i had deleted the system.map, the kernel image, *and* the
config file in /boot for that 2.2.19 kernel. i had to nvsetenv to boot off my
(old) kernel (in this case a 2.4.18 kernel i compiled myself; this one is one
i got from the debian archives). for reference, this is a 7500 now happily
(re)booting from quik and not mac os/bootx.

for my setup, i used:

1) nvsetenv boot-device "$(ofpath /dev/sdb)0"
2) nvsetenv boot-command "begin boot catch 100 ms cr again"
3) nvsetenv output-device /chaos/control
4) nvsetenv input-device kbd
5) quik -f

YMMV.

eric