Re: USB Mouse recommendation for iBook? (was: Re: usbmouse and docs)

on 15/03/2002 13:01, Rogério Brito at rbrito@iname.com wrote:

> On Mar 15 2002, Siggi Langauf wrote:
>> Hmmm, I guess that every USB mouse wil work fine. Personally, I'm
>> using an optical Wheel mouse by Logitech, which is nice to use on
>> "strange" surfaces like Sofas or wooden tables. But it has already
>> failed on a plasic mouse pad.
>
> Humm... :-) Well, I'll perhaps see if I can get one of those.
>
>> The only real advantage over the Trackpad is having three mouse
>> buttons and a scroll wheel...
>
> The scroll wheel is an excellent bonus if I can find an USB
> mouse, that is. :-)
>
>>> It seems that the trackpad of this notebook is way inferior
>>> than the trackpad of my Compaq Armada V300 and I have to
>>> comfort myself with the idea of getting an external mouse,
>>> since the behaviour of "trackpad drag" is unsatisfactory.
>>
>> Hmmm, what exactly is unsatisfactory? Have you tried "trackpad lock"
>> as well?
>
> Yes, I tried that, and that is what I don't like. In fact, my
> problem is that "trackpad drag" brings me some reminiscences
> of "lock".
>
> The situation is this: when I double-tap the pad, the cursor
> enters move mode. I then move the windows as well as I like.
> No problems here. But when I release the pad (i.e., lift my
> finger), the cursor takes some time to change back to pointing
> mode.
>
> I would like to control this delay (in fact, I would like it
> to instantly change).
>
> Is there anybody here that knows if this a limitation of the
> ADB bus (which I read is quite slow)? Or is it controllable
> via software?

I have an analysis of this really weird behaviour, and I've seen it in both
mac os [from v. 7.6.1 to 9.1] and debian linux. In my case (I have also seen
this on both a quadra 800 and this pmac 7500, btw) the when I move a window,
or click the scrollbar arrow, the cursor sometimes locks into "move mode",
requiring me to click again to unlock it. So my edumacated guess is that it
seems to be a bug in the ADB coding (on the ADB chip(s)) or hardware. It
certainly isn't software or os related.

my 2 cents,
eric