Re: fbset problem or how to change the res?

Michel D?nzer (daenzer@debian.org) wrote:

> It's a possible way, in particular if you just put Modes "current" in
> the Display subsection.
>
> Getting back to your original question: I guess just 'fbset 1024x768-60'
> (or any other 1024x768 mode, see /etc/fb.modes) doesn't work either? Do
> you use tdfxfb or OFfb? The latter can't change modes so you either have
> to use tdfxfb or the tdfx X driver.

Ok, I tried changing the modes to "current" and 'fbset
1024x768-anything' works fine, I'm using "-100" right now. However fbset
only effects the current tty. It doesn't effect tty7. So X still runs at
640x480...

As I said in the past, setting the driver to "tdfx" causes the X server
to segfault (signal 11) at startup (see list archives.) When I built
this kernel, I said yes to tdfx framebuffer.. but how do I check if it's
being used? 'cat /proc/fb' shows:
0 3Dfx Voodoo3
1 OFfb /bandit/3Dfx,Voodoo3

Looking at that I'd gather it's using the tdfxfb driver.

As I said in a previous thread, I'd LOVE to get the fdfx driver to work.
So if anyone can help figure out why it segfaults, I'd be very happy -
especially since the fbdev isn't accelerated...

TIA,
Ron