Re: fbset problem or how to change the res?

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 10:41:36AM -0800, Ron Farrer wrote:

> I'm trying to change the screen res to 1024 x 768 @ 32 or 24 bpp. The
> problem is that no matter what I try, I end up with a blank screen and
> the only option is to blindly type and reboot... Here is what I'm doing
> (perhaps I'm doing it wrong?):
> fbset -g 1024 768 1024 768 24
>
> The reason I want to change the res is because everthing is HUGE in
> XF86-4 at the default 800 x 600. I have a voodoo 3000 PCI as the fb dev.

You don't need to use fbset to determine the resolution of X.  Just edit
your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file, and change the resolution there.  Much
easier, and safer too, since it leaves your virtual terminals untouched.
--
David Roundy
http://civet.berkeley.edu/droundy/