Re: ibook2 french keyboard under X

> I had the same problem as you (* "Pas facile tous les jours d'être français
> ;)" *). To enable those keys, I downloaded kbd-mac-fr.tar.gz and from
> http://www.linux-france.org/macintosh/clavier_rpm3.html
> and installed mac-fr-ext_new.kmap.gz as indicated on the web page.
>
> Then I had to put the following line in my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 :
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> (...)
> 	Option "XkbModel" "macintosh"
> 	Option "XkbLayout" "fr_new"
> Endsection
>
> Thus, I can have backslash, tilde and pipe by pressing at once [shift][alt]
> and respectively /, N and L on my Ibook2/Woody.

Thank you all for the feedback!

I finally got my keyboard to work (almost) properly.

I had also looked at www.linux-france.org/macintosh/clavier_rpm*.html but
that did not help immediately. My Keyboard InputDevice looked exactly like
this:

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Mac Keyboard"
	Driver		"Keyboard"
	Option		"CoreKeyboard"

	Option		"Xkbtypes"	"default"
	Option		"XkbCompat"	"default"
	Option		"XkbRules"	"xfree86"
	Option		"XkbSymbol"	"macintosh/fr_new"
	Option		"XkbGeometry"	"macintosh"
EndSection

and with this, my keyboard was completely screwed up.

However, everything works just fine by adding this option:

	Option		"XkbKeycodes"	"macintosh"

But I don't know why!

BTW, I still cannot switch back to console mode. CTRL+ALT+Fi
does not give anything.

--
eL.