Re: playing DVD on pismo (powerbook)

>hello,
>i try to make DVD ( xine, mplayer, or whatever else) works on pismo
>(powerbook) system, but the video playback is _really_ slow.
>i'm running debian sid on a 2.4.19-pre2 kernel.
>ppl from xine project said me my DVD drive is to slow to read DVD :

I doubt your problem has anything to do with DVD drive speed.

The problem is decoding of the MPEG2 stream. MacOS uses the ATI chip
hardware IDCT and Motion Compensation engine, we can't in linux since
ATI doesn't provide infos/specs about it. So we have to do 100% software
decoding for which your CPU isn't fast enough (well, it _might_ be if
someone really understood how to hand optimize the algorithm, but I'm
not sure :). On G4 machines, we have some altivec optimisations that
make it doable, but that isn't the case on G3s.

Ben.