Re: help can't use the boot-floppies

jan <jan@seismo.ifg.ethz.ch> writes:

> I have two 8500/180 PowerPC machine ;) One machine has netbsd on it
> which was very easy to install.  Now I want debian on the other
> one. I downloaded the iso-image and tried out to make the floppy
> boot images with dd (on another linux machine) because the CD is not
> a bootable one.  I took rescue.bin / root.bin / boot.bin , put the
> floppydisk in the drive and then :
>
> boot unrecognized client program format or just : can't boot from device

You want to boot from the hfs-floppy-image (whatever that was called)
one instead, and then put in the root.bin disk which contains the
rootfs.

We had no success with this on a 4400/200 machine FWIW - it got IO
errors loading root.bin from every single floppy we tried.  We ended
up installing BootX from a YellowDog install CD on the MacOS partition
and using it to boot the debian kernel and ramdisk

[...]
--
http://john.fremlin.de