Re: Newbie, I'm checking some things out

On Tue, 12 Feb 2002, Chris Tillman wrote:

>>On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 12:05:23PM -0500, dunbar@cyberspace.org wrote:
>>> Not interested in saving MacOS; I said that already.
>>
>>I missed that.

>>> More on the matter, if you please: the partitioning program
>>> would not tell me how to define a swap partition type! I
>>> tried 2 different creation methods (I forget now.... "c"
>>> and "C"? "CF"?), neither would drop me into a routine
>>> whereby I could define a type, yet one of the methods I
>>> tried was supposed to offer create and type. After
>>> formatting all partitions, the installation declared "you
>>> have not defined a swap partition"...
>>
>>The swap partition is not a different type on PowerPC as it is on
>>i386, instead you just name a regular linux partition 'swap' and
>>that's what the installer looks for. C will ask for a type, if you
>>don't specify it on the line; but for all linux partitions just use c.

I tried that, but with capital S... "Swap". I've a funny
feeling I'm going to hear the phrase "Case Sensitive" again,
real soon.....

>>> Never looked at first floppy with MacOS, looked at second
>>> floppy *after* boot failed.  First and second floppy burns
>>> were not locked. Third floppy burn (locked) worked, but I
>>> had to return to MacOS to make the root floppy! Sorry, I
>>> tried to read everything first, but I can't always remember
>>> everything perfectly! Then the partitioning issue above.
>>
>>I can sympathize. It took me a month the first time, being a complete
>>Linux/Unix virgin.

Sounds like the Macintosh "Blessing the system folder" trick
is taking a new twist...

>>> OK, that will work even better, since I had to put MacOS 8.1
>>> back onto the drive in order to get DiskCopy and an OS so I
>>> could burn the forgotten root floppy - I don't need the
>>> floppies after all (LOL)!
>>
>>Well, yes, but the floppies are really needed as an emergency way to
>>boot into your system, even after it's set up, since you're not
>>keeping MacOS.

Right - I was referring to needing them for the "install" -
now that I've made them, I don't need them "for the
install" since I am enlightened regarding BootX. But yes, I
would retain them for the odd day when I, as newbies do,
trash the filesystem.