Re: Newbie, I'm checking some things out

On Tue, Feb 12, 2002 at 12:05:23PM -0500, dunbar@cyberspace.org wrote:
> Not interested in saving MacOS; I said that already.

I missed that.

> >>you want with Drive Setup, and leave one partition for the Debian
> >>installer to chew up later. This is covered in the installation
> >>manual, though the coverage has been improved in the Woody version
> >>(see my .sig for that).
>
> More on the matter, if you please: the partitioning program
> would not tell me how to define a swap partition type! I
> tried 2 different creation methods (I forget now.... "c"
> and "C"? "CF"?), neither would drop me into a routine
> whereby I could define a type, yet one of the methods I
> tried was supposed to offer create and type. After
> formatting all partitions, the installation declared "you
> have not defined a swap partition"...

The swap partition is not a different type on PowerPC as it is on
i386, instead you just name a regular linux partition 'swap' and
that's what the installer looks for. C will ask for a type, if you
don't specify it on the line; but for all linux partitions just use c.

> >>This is correct. But, if you mounted it in MacOS to look at it,
> >>without its being locked, there's a good chance MacOS wrecked it. It
> >>happens. The remedy is to re-burn it, and lock it. It should never
> >>have to be mounted in MacOS anyhow.
>
> Never looked at first floppy with MacOS, looked at second
> floppy *after* boot failed.  First and second floppy burns
> were not locked. Third floppy burn (locked) worked, but I
> had to return to MacOS to make the root floppy! Sorry, I
> tried to read everything first, but I can't always remember
> everything perfectly! Then the partitioning issue above.

I can sympathize. It took me a month the first time, being a complete
Linux/Unix virgin.

> >>The floppy is the way to go, try it again. Or, if you want to try
> >>something different, unpack BootX from the CD's install folder. That
>
> OK, that will work even better, since I had to put MacOS 8.1
> back onto the drive in order to get DiskCopy and an OS so I
> could burn the forgotten root floppy - I don't need the
> floppies after all (LOL)!

Well, yes, but the floppies are really needed as an emergency way to
boot into your system, even after it's set up, since you're not
keeping MacOS.

> >>will let you boot the installer from MacOS directly. There are a few
> >>pointers in the Woody install manual.
>
> As a newbie, I try to NOT associate things from one distro
> to a different distro.... even Woody to Potato would have
> been discounted. I learned from Mandrake on x86: things
> change too much; I can't tell if documents are up to date,
> and even attaching revisions will not declare that certain
> Woody portion applies to Potato; nor will I be able to
> discern if a section is left behind by accident or on
> purpose... People make documents, people make errors. Me
> too.
>
> So here is my surprise... after all the above transpired, I
> dropped the first Debian PPC CD into my mandrake box, ran
> MD5sum and nope - not even close to what I have listed as
> MD5Sum for the disc. Either the CD is bad (hence boot issue)
> or I got the wrong MD5Sums from the Debian site (More
> likely, since so much of the stuff on the CD actually
> worked).
>
> Pause this thread, with a sheepish "oops" from me.
> And a thanks to you for the assistance.

Next time, it will work. Or, maybe, the next time...

|            Chris Tillman        tillman@azstarnet.com          |