Re: Fix for german keymaps in woody on the ibook2

On 16 Jan 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> > That's a bad idea, as Mode_switch should really be one key ("\" is
> > produced by Shift+Mode_switch+7, for example)
>
> I see, but the question is what key to sacrifice for it?

Well, there's not much choice on the iBook keyboard: you more or less have
to choose the compined alt/Option key, or maybe the small enter key next
to the right Command (Apple) key, but I'm usin that as my second/third
mouse button already...

> > > -    key <LWIN> {	[  Meta_L	]	};
> > > +    key <LWIN> {	[  Meta_L, Multi_key ]	};
> > >      key <WWIN> {	[  Meta_R	]	};
> > >      // End "Modifier" section
> >
> > Hmmm, what is Multi_key?
>
> Compose.

Excuse my ignorance, but I've never used a Compose key, so what's it good
for?

Maybe you can point me to some in-depth documentation about xkb (besides
http://www.tsu.ru/~pascal/en/xkb/, which I find quite hard to read...)

> > IMHO, we should really keep compatibility with MacOS keymaps, ie
> > "AltGr" functionality provided by the "Option" ("Alt") key, at least as an
> > option.
> > It's really irritating if the keys are labelled one way, but produce
> > something else...
>
> But "Alt" and "AltGr" are two different things in the X world. The
> problem is really that some Apple keyboards don't have two
> (distinguishable) alt keys.

You're probably right, but I only know such a keyboard. And for those, it
should really work. (That's why I proposed an xkb variant for the iBook.)

Well, I don't. But it really hurts not to have "|\[]{}~@" !

> > Btw: Michel: What's your solution for that? Using an US keymap? Or a
> > bigger (non-iBook) keyboard??
>
> A US keyboard. :) British Pismo to be exact, but AFAICT the only
> difference is there's a pound sign where there should be a '#'.

Uh, and how do you get umlauts there?

Puzzled,
	Siggi