Re: Fix for german keymaps in woody on the ibook2

On 15 Jan 2002, Michel Dänzer wrote:

> How about this one:
>
> -    key <LALT> {	[  Alt_L	]	};
> +    key <LALT> {	[  Alt_L, Mode_switch ]	};

That's a bad idea, as Mode_switch should really be one key ("\" is
produced by Shift+Mode_switch+7, for example)

> -    key <LWIN> {	[  Meta_L	]	};
> +    key <LWIN> {	[  Meta_L, Multi_key ]	};
>      key <WWIN> {	[  Meta_R	]	};
>      // End "Modifier" section

Hmmm, what is Multi_key?

> This should put 'AltGr' on shift-alt/option and 'Compose' on
> shift-command/apple (or vice versa, depending on your alt/meta
> settings).

IMHO, we should really keep compatibility with MacOS keymaps, ie
"AltGr" functionality provided by the "Option" ("Alt") key, at least as an
option.
It's really irritating if the keys are labelled one way, but produce
something else...

I'm currently using xmodmap as a quick&dirty fix, like this:

cat <<END | xmodmap -
clear mod1
keycode 64 = Mode_switch
END

If I ever understand xkb (it's hardly documented...), I'd add an Xkb
variant for iBooks...

Btw: Michel: What's your solution for that? Using an US keymap? Or a
bigger (non-iBook) keyboard??

Cheers,
	Siggi