booting problems

I have a B&W G3 with debian, and I have 4 drives on it... I have debian
and mac installed on the IDE master drive, and macos alone on the slave.

The problem is, when I boot on macos on the slave drive, I can't later
reboot on debian, since it always goes back to the mac partition and it
doesn't recognice the bootstrap partition (that's my guess)

So, if I boot on mac os on the same drive where I have debian, it works
fine and I can get to debian, but if I change the bootup disk to a
different one (the slave) everything breaks, and I have to reboot off the
cd and re-generate the bootstrap.

Any ideas on how to fix this?