Re: XF86Config-4 for PowerMac 7500?

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:33:31PM -0500, Adam Goode wrote:
> Here is what I use on an 8500 (note the extra modeline):
>
> ### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION
> # XF86Config-4 (XFree86 server configuration file) generated by dexconf, the
> # Debian X Configuration tool, using values from the debconf database.
> #
> # Edit this file with caution, and see the XF86Config manual page.
> # (Type "man XF86Config" at the shell prompt.)
> #
> # If you want your changes to this file preserved by dexconf, only make changes # before the "### BEGIN DEBCONF SECTION" line above, and/or after the
> # "### END DEBCONF SECTION" line below.
[snip]
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>         HorizSync       30-68
>         VertRefresh     50-85
>         Option          "DPMS"
>

>         Mode "1024x768"
>             # D: 79.554 MHz, H: 59.905 kHz, V: 74.509 Hz
>             DotClock 79.555
>             HTimings 1024 1068 1164 1328
>             VTimings 768 771 774 804
>             Flags    "+HSync" "+VSync"
>         EndMode
[snip]
> ### END DEBCONF SECTION

Now what did this file JUST TELL YOU about how to make sure your changes
will be preserved by dexconf?

The next time you upgrade (or reconfigure) xserver-xfree86, or rerun
dexconf, this modeline will be clobbered.

Define your own Monitor section outside the debconf area, and declare a
Screen and ServerLayout section to use it.

man dexconf
man XF86Config-4
zless /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common/FAQ.gz

--
G. Branden Robinson                |      The greatest productive force is
Debian GNU/Linux                   |      human selfishness.