Re: Buildd Update

On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 03:26:23PM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > These packages were marked failed. Should they be marked not-for-us or
> > should a bug be filed adding powerpc as a wishlist: what was your
> > intent? (Okay, some of these were Dan's.)
>
> They were marked failed instead of not-for-us due to a lengthy argument I
> had with Ryan over the use of not-for-us. If someone can manually force a
> build and prove the packages stand a chance to build on powerpc I'd
> suggest filing bugs to have powerpc added to the arch list.

Would you mind educating me? From my understanding, it would be better
to have them listed as not-for-us and get them out of the failed
build list. But hey, I'm just learning.

> > synaptic - listed as successfully built by dan, built fine for me, and
> > built fine on all the other archs.
>
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -ltiff
>
> Build dependency issue. I strongly resent having to install additional
> build dependencies because the maintainer was sloppy, for two reasons:
> One, I have to manually install the dependency, and deinstall it after
> build. Because two, if I just leave it around it'll rot (meaning it's not
> upgraded automatically and some package will end up being built with a
> dated version).
> I'll try to add the proper dependency to the sourcedeps override file.

I agree with you. I wouldn't ask you to add anything that should be
specified in a build-dep. Indeed, I file bugs whenever I find build-dep
problems. Correct me if I'm wrong, but -ltiff is libtiff which is
provided by libtiff3g. The build-dep from synaptic looks like this to me.

Depends: hermes1 (>= 1.3.2-1), libapt-pkg-libc6.2-3-2-3.2, libc6 (>=
2.2.4-4), libjpeg62, libpng2(>=1.0.12), libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 (>=
1:2.95.4-0.010810), libtiff3g, libungif4g (>= 4.1-1), libwraster2 (>=
0.65.0), xlibs (>> 4.1.0), zlib1g
(>= 1:1.1.3)

Which includes libtiff3g. That's why I don't think this is a package
problem.

Thanks,

Stephen

<stephen@marenka.net>