Re: firewalling

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Richard Barraclough wrote:

> As I don't really know what I am doing, I was delighted to find that just
> installing everything made it work. However, I'd like to improve things a
> bit and I don't know how.
> I tried reading the HOWTOs but I don't really understand them.

Well, this isn't _exactly_ apropos to debian-powerpc, but I'll answer
anyway.

> Is it possible to let through incoming connections so that FTP and Gnutella
> will work?

Make sure you load the FTP protocol helper. You need to use the ipmasqadm
tool to do what you're looking to do. If you were using a 2.4.x kernel, it
would all be handled within the context of iptables, but in 2.2.x things
were a bit different. So, 'apt-get install ipmasqadm' and read the docs
included with it.

I don't know about Gnutella, however. Where I'm working (a school
district) we explicitly firewall those kinds of services - students love
to use and abuse them - so it's a non-issue for us.

Derrik Pates      |   Sysadmin, Douglas School   |    #linuxOS on EFnet
dpates@dsdk12.net |     District (dsdk12.net)    |    #linuxOS on OPN