Re: 3.0.18 testing needed

Hey all,

Some further checking on the ramdisk...

On   2 Jan, this message from Michel Dänzer echoed through cyberspace:
> On Wed, 2002-01-02 at 01:05, Philip Blundell wrote:
>> In message <[🔎] 200201012333.AAA00924@piglet.grunz.lu>, Michel Lanners writes:
>> >- trying to use mac-fdisk from a shell, I get this error:
>> >
>> >  /sbin/mac-fdisk: 1: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
>> >
>> >  Hmmm.. looks like ash tries to execute mac-fdisk as a shell script?
>>
>> Apparently the mac-fdisk binary is corrupted somehow.  There's already a bug
>> open on this: I don't know if those builds of boot-floppies were just bad
>> for some reason, or the binary in the archive is actually broken, or something
>> else.  One of the PPC folks probably needs to look at it.

I'd suggest rebuilding bf and see if it consistently creates crap.

> daenzer@pismo> file /mnt/sbin/mac-fdisk                                ~
> /mnt/sbin/mac-fdisk: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, no machine, version 1
> (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

OK, I get the same.

> daenzer@pismo> /mnt/sbin/mac-fdisk                                     ~
> zsh: exec format error: /mnt/sbin/mac-fdisk

Same.

> (1)daenzer@pismo> /mnt/sbin/fdisk                                      ~
> mac-fdisk: bad usage - no device argument
>
> 	mac-fdisk [-h|--help]
> 	mac-fdisk [-v|--version]
> 	mac-fdisk [-l|--list [name ...]]
> 	mac-fdisk [-r|--readonly] name ...
> 	mac-fdisk name ...

Hehehe. Got you ;-)

> So /sbin/mac-fdisk is hosed for some reason, but /sbin/fdisk seems to be
> a working mac-fdisk.

Nope:

[root@piglet /mnt/jaz]# file sbin/fdisk
sbin/fdisk: Bourne shell script text

Ah? Hmm, let's see:

[root@piglet /mnt/jaz]# cat sbin/fdisk
#!/bin/sh
#
# fdisk, a wrapper to use the right fdisk on Linux/PowerPC
[snip]
        case "$Arch" in
[snip]
                Power*|iMac*|[Pp]ower[bB]ook*)
# if Power Macintosh
                        /sbin/mac-fdisk $@
                        exit 0
                        ;;

Thank you for showing us you have a working /sbin/mac-fdisk :-)) Which
also explains why the step 'partioning hd' in debootstrap brings me back
to debootstrap immediately: exit 0!

No, indeed bf only contains mac-fdisk as partitioning tool on Powermac.
And the one in bf-3.0.18-20011221 _is_ hosed.

I re-copied a working one, and now file says this:

[root@piglet /mnt/jaz]# file sbin/mac-fdisk
sbin/mac-fdisk: ELF 32-bit MSB executable, PowerPC or cisco 4500, version 1, dynamically linked (uses shared libs), stripped

Ah, better. Let's try again ;-)

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |