Re: Mysterious drive access and battery life

Hi Mark. I had a fiddle with my machine a month ago, and here's what I found:

1. Most accesses are due to updating the file access time. Turning this off gets rid of alot of redundant writes. To turn it off, add the 'noatime' flag to your fstab and either reboot or re-mount the partition. 2. On Ext2 and probably XFS you can use the noflushd daemon. This changes the kernel operation so that dirty data isn't flushed to the hard disk unless the disk is running. This could lead to lost data and doesn't work with Ext3 or Reiser.

-- Michael