Re: Which tools for compiling a kernel

At 21:10 +0100 12/14/02, Roland Wegmann wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am going to compile aBen's Kernel by myself. i read some howto's about
>it but they gave different information which tools you have to install in
>order to compile a kernel. So I tried the following apt-get install:
>
>apt-get install gcc binutils make kernel-package
>
>After the installation I got the message of removing modutils and
>modconf. And an additional warning that the system could be damaged, if I
>remove this tools, because the kernel was compiled with modules.
>Therefore I answered the question without 'yes' (I simply hit 'enter').
>
>Now I'm really unsure what to do. Does my system have any conflicts now,
>because I have install the tools above and not removed modconf and modutils?
>Which tool is responsible for this warning?
>
>But more important: Which tools are absolutly necessary for compiling a
>Ben's kernel??

gcc, the compiler
make, a program that can check what to build, based upon "Makefile's"
binutils, a bundle of programs (linker & assembler) for further processing

about kernel-package

apt-cache show kernel-package | grep -e "^D" -e "^ " # begin with D or space
Depends: perl5, dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev (>= 1.4.0.9), gcc | c-compiler, make
 This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
 package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
 directory tree.  It can also package the relevant kernel headers into
 a kernel-headers package. In general, this package is very useful if
 you need to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default
 kernel does not support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner,
 meaner kernel.  It also scripts the steps that need be taken to
 compile the kernel, which is quite convenient (forgetting a crucial
 step once was the initial motivation for this package). Please look at
 /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Rationale.gz for a full list of advantages
 of this package.
 .
 If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
 custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
 need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other platforms).

Geert St
---------
Get my envelope closing key with `gpg --recv-keys 5511798F`
or use the equivalent of your favorite Pretty Good Privacy software.
The envelope opening key is already here.