Re: Which tools for compiling a kernel

At 21:10 +0100 12/14/02, Roland Wegmann wrote:
>I am going to compile aBen's Kernel by myself. i read some howto's about
>it but they gave different information which tools you have to install in
>order to compile a kernel. So I tried the following apt-get install:
>apt-get install gcc binutils make kernel-package
>After the installation I got the message of removing modutils and
>modconf. And an additional warning that the system could be damaged, if I
>remove this tools, because the kernel was compiled with modules.
>Therefore I answered the question without 'yes' (I simply hit 'enter').
>Now I'm really unsure what to do. Does my system have any conflicts now,
>because I have install the tools above and not removed modconf and modutils?
>Which tool is responsible for this warning?
>But more important: Which tools are absolutly necessary for compiling a
>Ben's kernel??

gcc, the compiler
make, a program that can check what to build, based upon "Makefile's"
binutils, a bundle of programs (linker & assembler) for further processing

about kernel-package

apt-cache show kernel-package | grep -e "^D" -e "^ " # begin with D or space
Depends: perl5, dpkg (>= 1.4), dpkg-dev (>=, gcc | c-compiler, make
 This package provides the capability to create a debian kernel-image
 package by just running make-kpkg kernel_image in a kernel source
 directory tree.  It can also package the relevant kernel headers into
 a kernel-headers package. In general, this package is very useful if
 you need to create a custom kernel, if, for example, the default
 kernel does not support some of your hardware, or you wish a leaner,
 meaner kernel.  It also scripts the steps that need be taken to
 compile the kernel, which is quite convenient (forgetting a crucial
 step once was the initial motivation for this package). Please look at
 /usr/share/doc/kernel-package/Rationale.gz for a full list of advantages
 of this package.
 If you are running on an intel x86 platform, and you wish to compile a
 custom kernel (why else are you considering this package?), then you may
 need the package bin86 as well.  (This is not required on other platforms).

Geert St
Get my envelope closing key with `gpg --recv-keys 5511798F`
or use the equivalent of your favorite Pretty Good Privacy software.
The envelope opening key is already here.