Re: iBook, mobile phone, bluetooth and text messages (SMS)

On Wed, 2002-12-11 at 17:57, Claas Langbehn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to send some SMS via Internet, but unfortuneately there are not
> any good services left on the market. Either I have to pay for my SMS or
> I need to sign up.
>
> So i was asking myself, which alternatives I have:
>
> 1) sending through a modem gateway to an SMSC -> possible, but I did not
> try it yet. Does anybody use this and can he/she report. I need to send
> to german mobiles from within germany.

I use this successfully with the smsclient package.  You may need to do
some research to find the number for your SMS center as the phone
numbers in the package are out of date.

> 2) sending with my mobile connected to my ibook. This is what I am
> really interested in. Since I don't have a serial port, I could use USB
> or Bluetooth (with an USB-Bluetooth dongle) only. How do the
> USB-Datacables work? Is that usable? How can I send SMS using bluetooth?
>
> If you use bluetooth, please tell me/us, which mobile and which dongle
> you are using. Which is the cheapest mobile with bluetooth?

We're nearly there with bluetooth, but not quite yet :-)

This can be done with bluetooth now.  You need the latest kernel, and
the Bluetooth modules from CVS at bluez.sf.net.  You also need the
bluez-utils and bluez-libs packages from sid.

Then you can use the rfcomm tool to bind a serial port /dev/rfcomm0 to
your mobile phone and then use the tools in gsm-utils package to send
and receive SMS.

I am currently working on GUI tools to do this from GNOME2, see
http://usefulinc.com/software/gnome-bluetooth and
http://usefulinc.com/software/phonemgr

Unfortunately the phonemgr tool is not currently compilable against the
packages in sid due to outdated gnomemm dependencies :-(

The Apple-recommended dongle works fine with the iBook in both MacOS X
and Linux.  For Linux use you need to install the bluez-bluefw package
from bluez.sf.net/download/debian.

Hope this helps

Edd.