Re: Motorola-Powerstack4000 install problem (scsi)

Hi,
Steffen Schroeder wrote,

> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 02:52:37PM +0100, Mario Urban wrote:
>
> Hello!
>
> > i have problems installing woody on a powerstack4000 (604e300Mhz).
>
> the same with me, only mine has only 200MHz, and i don't know the
> number. Only "PowerStack".
>
> > the support for the ncr53c8xx scsi-controller is broken.
> > the prep-bootdiskette seems not to support other scsi-chipsets.
>
> try the kernel on
>
> http://home.tiscali.be/philipa/rs6000-instproc.html
> Phillippe uses it for an rs6000, but it came past my SCSI-Controller,
> by using another one. My only problem is: It (and none else i found)
> has Net-Support compiled in. Because i _have_ to boot over TFTP/NFS (no
> cdrom, no floppy), it can't mount a root-fs.
>
> > i need a fixed bootdiskette, but the links to fownload i found were dead.
> > who can tell me a link for downlad a fixed prep-bootdiskette?
>
> I don't know a link to a boot-disk which works, but if you get one, please
> tell me! I can't manage to compile a powerpc-prep kernel on my x86
> box... I even tried modifying another config, but it insisted on being
> an x86 in the config, it wouldn't even let me _configure_ fon a
> powerpc. So i need someone to get a kernel from. (i think it has a
> generic DEC - NIC, according to some web-page i don't remember the URL
> of)
>
> hope that helped a little,

If you want to compile a ppc kernel on x86, you need a cross compile
environment (compiler,linker,as,..).

I try to compile a kernel on my ibook for the Motorola, but
it doesn't boot. I don't know if it's possible to build it natively
without cross compilation.
Doesn't boot, means I get a stack exception ...

Kernelversion: 2.4.20-rc4-ben0

#
# Platform support
#
CONFIG_PPC=y
CONFIG_PPC32=y
CONFIG_6xx=y
# CONFIG_4xx is not set
# CONFIG_POWER3 is not set
# CONFIG_POWER4 is not set
# CONFIG_8xx is not set
# CONFIG_8260 is not set
CONFIG_PPC_STD_MMU=y
# CONFIG_CPU_FREQ is not set
CONFIG_ALL_PPC=y
# CONFIG_APUS is not set
# CONFIG_SPRUCE is not set
# CONFIG_PAL4 is not set
# CONFIG_GEMINI is not set
# CONFIG_SMP is not set
# CONFIG_ALTIVEC is not set
# CONFIG_TAU is not set
CONFIG_PPC_ISATIMER=y

Anyone an idea or a working .config I can use to build
a new kernel for the 604e ppc machine?

bye
  Waldemar

--
8485 D0CE 2743 656E 867C  5C93 0317 AFD8 BE21 BD90