[Fwd: Re: Do you think Debian will run on this PowerPC board?]

Hi,

Ole-Egil Hvitmyren wrote:

>> For boot-floppies questions, you can mail to debian-boot, but for powerpc
>> boot-floppies, you probably got Colin's attention already. We can try to
>> help you out if you get in a bind.
>>
>> I know just enough to be really dangerous. If it's more like a CHRP or
>> PReP box, there are no boot-floppies regulars AFAIK.
>>
>> To build, adjust config and Makefile to your liking (see README), make
>> check, then make release.

> Well, basically all we need to do (as far as I know) is to get rid of
> the MF "Your platform is not currently supported" message and give some
> better alternatives for keyboard (this is a VIA southbridge after all,
> of course we use standard PC keyboards. Only having mac keyboards and a
> us keyboard of some sort in the list is a constant source of annoyance).
>
> Everything else seems to be supported already (I've made a new version
> of amiga-fdisk which includes amiga device name support and AOS4 boot
> loader support (so you partition and install the bootloader using the
> same program).
> The AOS4 boot loader doesn't support loading linux yet, so for now we
> boot Linux by using the same trick as the PReP (dd if=pImage
> of=/dev/hda1 :-) )

I wanted to send a reply earlier, but due to wind and bushfires, we kept
losing power when I was trying to compose a reply! :(

Yeah the amigaone is a new "flavour" (to use Debian terminology).

I have done make check and make release to try and build disks, but we
can't really use the existing boot disks like chrp, apus etc, we need to
create our own version of the boot disks, that deal with the AmigaOne's
quirks. Like there being no boot loader (as Ole-Egil points out),
instead we need to "dd" the boot image. Also it is much like a PC, there
is no need for all the Mac specific stuff at all. Also we may decide to
use rdsk (Amiga) partition maps instead of pc style, since the firmware
can boot off Amiga paritions (like Apus in that sense).

I will probably end up trying to hack the PReP or APUS boot-disk source,
or something..

Regards,

Ross..