Re: beige g3 stopped responding (firmware problem?)

This is kind of missing the point.
I have been through what you said. The problem is something was ruined
in the setting somwhere and I can't boot anything from any device.
When I start it up all I get is a blank white screen that doesn't
respond.
I can here it cdrom starting if I boot with c pressed but nothing comes
on screen.
I tried pressing command option p r to zap the firmware but nothing
happed.
I tried taking out the battery and disconecting it for over 10 minutes.
Settings went back to what it thinks is the default, but still nothing
else then the white screen happens.
All I can do with it right now is start it using command option o f to
boot into firmware, and I can play around with the firmware, but still
nothing else happens (managed to get a black screen on boot once ;) ).
firmware version os 2.0f1 I can see that when firmware starts. I think
its supposed to also show something about rarom version or something of
the sort but I am not getting that (that is porbably what is broken).

Once I can boot of the boot floppy or the macos cdrom I can handle the
rest, just can't get there now.
I don't know if your G3 is SCSI or IDE but when encountering this problem in the past I've managed to boot using an external Jaz drive (SCSI). I installed MacOS8.6 on the Jaz drive from another Mac then plugged the Jaz into the sick machine.

To boot, cmd+opt+shft+delete tells the mac to skip the first device on the scsi chain.

HTH

Clive
--

Clive Menzies & Associates Limited