Re: Mouse freezes after X logout - why?

Michel Dänzer wrote:

On Son, 2002-11-24 at 21:22, Kent West wrote:
On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:23:34PM -0600, Kent West wrote:

On Fre, 2002-11-22 at 21:10, William Crowshaw wrote:

Just upgraded to woody (PowerMac 7500 using kernel
2.2.20). Every time -- and I mean every time -- I
logout of an X session (regardless of which wm I'm
using) and am thrown back to gdm, my mouse freezes up.
If you're going to use both gpm and X, as a general rule you'll want gpm's repeat type to be "raw" rather than "ms3", and you'll want XF86Config-4's "Device=" line set to "/dev/gpmdata".

Basically you have two mouse drivers fighting over the same data; by configuring gpm to read the data and then repeat it just as it's read (raw), and then configuring X to read gpm's repeated data instead of the "normal" mouse port, the two should start getting along just fine.

That's only a problem with devices like /dev/psaux. Any number of apps
can use /dev/input/mice concurrently without a problem.

Ah, I stand corrected. Ya' learn somethin' new every day.

Kent