Re: Ibook/TiBook performance/battery life

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002 11:34:39 -0500
Mighty Germ <mightygerm@mightygerm.com> wrote:

> Hello, im new to Debian and linux in general, And I had a few questions.
> I am in the market for a laptop, and i'm considering both the Ibook and
> TiBook.

they are two completely different machines (as you can understand
looking their prices)

> I was wondering how thier performance and battery life were under linux.
> Approx. how many hours can you get doing light work( typing, etc)? How
> much watching DVDs(or any other high optical usage)? How about Divx?(or
> any other high cpu usage)?

It lasts almost 6h when all drivers are shut down, backlight is the lowest and
you're light on the disk. DVD turn down the uptime since the cd engine chews
tons of power.

> Also, for the performance: is a 700mhz G3 comaprable to 667 G4 in linux?
> Is the G3 fast enough to play hi bitrate divx's without choppiness? How
> is the boot up time? Same for powerbook also.

g3 and g4 are completely different processors. You can look at them like
486 and pentium, the gap is alike. G3 is capable of playing almost everything,
but the bad thing is the audio: when mplayer has to convert audio rate on the
fly, the speed becomes actually unacceptable.

bye