Re: Mozilla Flash Plugin (was Re: Mozilla Plugins)

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 08:06:54PM +0200, K. Reid Wightman wrote:
> http://www.macromedia.com/support/email/wishform/ , and write a nice

> polite message saying that you use linux-ppc and would like to have the
> flash player plugin ported.  I specify it as a "Feature Request",
> product name "Flash Player", no version, OS "Linux", OS version
> "Debian-PPC" (maybe PPC-Debian would be better so it gets noticed?)

    Might I suggest "LinuxPPC" or "Linux for the PowerPC" rather than
    Debian Specific.

> It would be especially useful for website content folks to write in,
> saying that you refrain from using Flash on your sites, because you know
> a good percentage of visitors won't be able to look at it.  This is
> probably the best angle, since, if you won't create flash content, you
> aren't buying their commercial software.  And we all know how money
> talks...

    Unfortunately they will just laugh at that. They know that something
    like 85 percent of the market is Windows+IE, another 10 percent is
    some recombination of Mozilla/Netscape/Opera on Windows and
    Netscape/Mozilla on MacOS. Netscape/Mozilla on LinuxX86 and Solaris
    gets them about 3-4 percent of the remaining browsers.

    LinuxPPC is a pretty slim market--the best that we can hope for is
    that someone will realize that all it takes is either a
    cross-compile, or a seperate machine and a build. Which of course
    has to be QA'd etc, but which is code-wise identical to the LinuxX86
    version (I assume).

    Remember, this is the world of commercial software, they don't ship
    it until QA has at least spilt some taco sauce on it, unlike the
    open-source world where users are building out of CVS.

--
I stand on principle, because it's the only place where I    | Quit smoking:
don't get shit on my boots.                                  | 186d, 13h ago