Re: NO sound on powermac G4

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Rogério Brito wrote:

> On Oct 25 2002, José Salavert Torres wrote:
> > I got sound in X (finally),
>
> > mp3blaster: "error while loading shared libraries: libvorbisfile.so.0:
> > cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
>
> 	This means that the mp3blaster executable is defective -- it
> 	is looking for a library which isn't installed on your system.

No. The executable is not deffective.  No executables "knows" about
files not installed.  You just need to install libvorbisfile3.

This could just be a broken link.  Cd to /usr/lib and type
'ls -l | grep vorbis'. You should see something like:
rwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Aug 21 15:46 libvorbisfile.so ->
libvorbisfile.so.3.0.0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           22 Aug 21 15:46 libvorbisfile.so.3
-> libvorbisfile.so.3.0.0
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root        28341 Aug  1 07:44
libvorbisfile.so.3.0.0

Actually I take all my ranting back. It looks like mp3baster is
looking for a very old libvorbisfile. You may have to compile
mp3blaster from sources or find libvorbisfile from an older
debian distribution.

You can check which libraries are not found by locating the
executable i.e. "locate mp3blaster" or "which mp3blaster"
and runing ldd on the program or as a shortcut:
"ldd `which mp3blaster`".  ldd will print the libraries the
executable expects to find in $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

> 	It's usually not necessary to reinstall Linux if you have
> 	problems. You can often solve the problems without a
> 	reinstall. It may not be practical, but it is an excellent
> 	learning exercise.

One of the nice things about Linux.   You really have to hose
things real bad to reinstall.  If you have a rescue disk or
partition you can fix almost everything that goes wrong.  Of
course this is more for the advanced user.

Fred

Error Loading Explorer.exe
You must reinstall Windows.