Re: PowerPC Problem

> I've found out some more about the nature of the problem. I found out how to
> navigate down thro the file structure using the <> keys. The booter is
> concentating the folder names to 8 characters. Hence it cant find
> "new-powermac" cos it see's it as "new-powe". I can get past the
> "disks-powerpc" folder by navigating , but the booter is looking to find
> "new-powermac" and cant.
>
> Why should this be?. Is there a setting somewhere in dbootstrap?. Can I pass
> it an argument to change this setting?.    Maybe its a setting in my CDRom
> or Drive.

It's a bad idea to rely on a CD-ROM holding long filenames.
They are only available as an add-on, of which there are
several popular types:

Joliet -- offers Unicode and DOS attributes (for Windows)
RockRidge -- offers UNIX permission bits and ownership (for UNIX)
Apple -- offers CREATOR, TYPE, forks, etc. (for new Macs)
HFS -- makes the disk also be a valid HFS filesystem (for old Macs)

When you create a disk, you'd better enable all 4 features.
You'd better also simply avoid long filenames; some systems
won't understand them in any format, and they're a pain to
type anyway.