Re: iBook install: failing to see hard drive

gremio@ai.mit.edu writes:

> I also have the combo drive, I'm sorry if I said something else.
> And I have no trouble booting the machine with a cd in the drive,
> which it will happily ignore unless I hold down 'c', as usual.
> Is that what you meant by "can't be booted with a CD in the drive"?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your suggestion about installing from the
> network.  I don't mind where I install from, but if I've booted off the
> hard drive, I won't be able to install onto it, and booting off the debian
> cd (or I imagine any cd with similar kernel and config) makes me unable to
> see the hard drive, so I'd have a chicken and egg problem, no?

I have absolutely the same model of iBook and have experienced the same
problems when installed Debian on it.
My solution was to install without using CD-ROM at all making all things
from MacOSX and over the network... You could read
http://people.debian.org/~branden/ibook.html
(I don't remember exactly, but it seems I've made sort of the same steps
order)

--
  Valentin Podlovchenko,                        ____/|
  <VPodlovchenko@Microtest.ru>                  \ o.O|