Re: iBook install: failing to see hard drive

On Sun, 2002-10-20 at 23:47, gremio@ai.mit.edu wrote:

> First, may I ask that you keep me in the cc: in replies in lieu of my
> subscribing?

As you wish, but please don't CC me.

If you're running Debian on powerpc, you'll find this list to be really
useful, so I would subscribe anyways...

> I'm a newbie who enjoys debian and got sick of os x, but am having trouble
> installing debian for the first time.  I have an iBook 600 MHz (with ATI
> rage video card, in case that helps identify the model), and a brand new
> set of stable potato powerpc disks,

Potato?  Are you sure?  The below sounds like woody (which is what you
should be using).

> and have tried booting with the
> 'install', 'install24', and 'install24-safe' options (uname says
> 2.4.18-newpmac), which all result in the same behavior:
>
> The installer boots fine, but claims I have no hard drive.

What linux image are you using?  If you're using a custom linux image,
you MUST disable devfs.  Otherwise the installer won't see your hard
disk, which is the symptoms you describe.

You should use the official linux image from here:
http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/disks-powerpc/current/new-powermac/linux.bin

> IN from bad port cfc at c00f5598

I think this is "normal".

BTW, Have you actually tried booting from an official CD image?