Re: ext3 issue on powerpc with benh kernel

On Sun, 2002-10-13 at 06:53, Peter Meilstrup wrote:

> > > A new feature will be added for 2.4.20 which will allow to increase
> > > this delay at mount time.
> >
> > The benh kernel is a 2.4.20pre9, is it already in there?
>
> Yes, use the commit=<seconds> option when mounting.

Great, but how many seconds would make sense on a notebook?
I think it must be a real high value, because there is the harddisk
powermanagement first and then there should be some time for the disc to
sleep.
But I don't get why the ext3 driver must do this every n seconds.
Doesn't it detect if there was a filesystem access or not? If there was
no seek, then it could skip the flush that time.

-
claas