ext3 issue on powerpc with benh kernel

Since I installed linux on my TiBook a month ago, I see (in gkrellm) and
hear a nearly periodic io activity on the hard-drive. Even when there is
no particular activity I have this. Because it prevents the HD to go in
a less power-consuming state, I decided to investigate.

I have the same unwanted HD activity after booting in single mode. This
let only two possible guilty tasks: bdflush and kjournald. Both are
kernel tasks, the former is there for ext3.

So I changed my filesystem to ext2 and rebooted in single mode again. I
can see that kjournald is no more running and ... I have no more this
unwanted disk activity. It is then clear the ext3 is the cause. My old
x86 laptop is also using ext3 with a recent 2.4 kernel and does not have
this problem.

Is it a known issue with ext3 on powerpc ?

Christophe

There's no sense in being precise when you don't even know what you're
talking about. -- John von Neumann