Re: Yet more TiBook questions

On Thursday, Oct 10, 2002, at 19:38 US/Pacific, Rogério Brito wrote:

	Today, (after some discussions in my family) I was thinking if
	it was a good thing or not to get my iBook. Aside from it
	being expensive, and even though having 128MB more of memory
	than when I got the iBook (I now have 256MB) Apple's own
	operating system (even Jaguar) is *quite* slow with this
	computer.

I just switched to OSX 10.2 on my TiBook 400 after a year of running Linux & OS9 under MOL. I have to say that it was like stepping in to molasses at first. I had 256mb in the laptop. However, suspecting it was mostly a memory issue I updated to 640mb, and performance is quite acceptable now. I'm certainly not defending OSX's prodigious appetite for RAM, but it is nice to know that it is mostly memory bound rather than being CPU bound, since that is a problem that can be addressed much more cheaply (I paid $150 for a 512mb module).

            Wilhelm Fitzpatrick  |  When we speak of free
         http://www.3roses.com/  |  software we are referring
                     aim:R4F14L  |  to freedom not price.