Re: localtalk printing

On  23 Sep, this message from CK echoed through cyberspace:
> Now I'd like to set it up as a printserver for the home lan using an
> old epson color inkjet printer (works more or less on my laptop with
> gimp-print).
>
> Can anyone give me a quick shot at setting up a localtalk connection
                                                  ^^^^^^^^^
> under linux for printing (docs on this seem to be a bit sparse google-
> wise) ?

Localtalk? Forget it, will never be supported under Linux. It's too
intensive on the CPU, and very timing-sensitive on top of that. You'd
probably need a real-time OS (or cooperative multitasking, like MacOS)
for that to work...

By the way: OS X can be made to run on the older PCI hardware still
having serial ports; does it support Localtalk on those? I doubt it...

Now, on the other hand, make sure your printer connection is _really_
Localtalk; I think I remember some of the Epson's simply running a
serial connection at some very high speed (like 230 kb/s or so...).

Cheers

Michel

L-1710 Luxembourg              |
email   mlan@cpu.lu            |