Re: Beige G3 kernel panic

On Mon, Sep 23, 2002 at 10:10:27AM +0200, Patrik Nyman wrote:
> Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:47:06 -0700, Cris Tillman wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:09:56AM +0200, Patrik Nyman wrote:
> >> I also tried running the installer from the ramdisk, and then I
> >> realized, that not only does it not find the root partition, it does
> >> not find the hard drive at all! When installing from floppies, there's
> >> no problem.
> >>
> >> So, it seems to me that
> >> \begin{guesswork}
> >> the kernel on the floppy is different from the kernel that BootX uses.
> >> \end{guesswork}
>
> [snip]
>
> >The kernel you use with BootX is up to you! Whichever kernels you put
> >in the Linux Kernels folder, then choose with the popup will be used.
> >
> >If that is the kernel linux.bin which came with the same distribution
> >from which you made your floppy, that is very mysterious. It's easy
> >to tell what version each is when it's running,
> >
> >uname -a
>
> This returns
>
> Linux (none) 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc unkmown
>
> in both instances (boot floppy and ram disk). So it seems the two
> kernels are the same. To recapitulate: when booting the installer
> from floppy, there's no problem with the hard drive, I can even mount
> an hfs partition. But when booting from BootX - either the ram disk
> installer, or trying to boot after installing the base system via
> floppy - the hard drive isn't found at all.

BootX is apparently successful in passing the right major/minor number
(03/08).

Has anyone heard of problems with the 2.2.20 kernel handling large (4.2G)
root partitions?

|      <http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/installmanual>     |
|        debian-imac: <http://debian-imac.sourceforge.net>       |
|                  To Have, Give All to All (ACIM)               |