Re: Beige G3 kernel panic

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 19:47:06 -0700, Cris Tillman wrote:

On Thu, Sep 19, 2002 at 10:09:56AM +0200, Patrik Nyman wrote:
> I also tried running the installer from the ramdisk, and then I
> realized, that not only does it not find the root partition, it does
> not find the hard drive at all! When installing from floppies, there's
> no problem.
>
> So, it seems to me that
> \begin{guesswork}
> the kernel on the floppy is different from the kernel that BootX uses.
> \end{guesswork}

[snip]

The kernel you use with BootX is up to you! Whichever kernels you put
in the Linux Kernels folder, then choose with the popup will be used.

If that is the kernel linux.bin which came with the same distribution
from which you made your floppy, that is very mysterious. It's easy
to tell what version each is when it's running,

uname -a

This returns

Linux (none) 2.2.20-pmac #1 Thu Mar 21 17:08:23 EST 2002 ppc unkmown

in both instances (boot floppy and ram disk). So it seems the two kernels are the same. To recapitulate: when booting the installer from floppy, there's no problem with the hard drive, I can even mount an hfs partition. But when booting from BootX - either the ram disk installer, or trying to boot after installing the base system via floppy - the hard drive isn't found at all.

Patrik Nyman