Re: airport in /etc/network/interfaces

On Fri, Sep 20, 2002 at 09:36:40AM +0200, Geert Stappers wrote:
> At 1:13 +0200 9/20/02, christophe =?unknown-8bit?Q?barb=E9?= wrote:
> >Hi again,
> >
> >'modprobe airport' seems to work.
> >So I try to connect to my base station with the following lines in my
> >/etc/network/interfaces file :
> >
> >iface eth1 inet dhcp
> >        wireless_essid abcd
> >        wireless_key s:efgh
> >
> >where abcd is the network name provided by the airport base and efgh is
> >the password I use under macos-x for this network.
>
> That is configuration for a DHCP-client.
> ( I don't know if it is a good configuration )

I am nearly sure for the dhcp part.
What I believe can be incorrect is the essid and key part.

> >Sending on   Socket/fallback/fallback-net
> >DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 3
> >DHCPDISCOVER on eth1 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 8
>
> That looks like the output of a DHCP-server,
> which is not expected on a client.

No. That looks like a DHCP-client. It sends a broadcast discover command
and wait for an answer from a server. But in my case nobody answer.

> See http://ldp.nllgg.nl/HOWTO/mini/DHCP/ for DHCP information.

I know enough about that. Thanks

> >and so on ...
> >
> >Any ideas ?
>
> I not sure if wireless ethernet can do a DHCP request.

Me too but it seems to be the case.

> And something else:
> Notice that this mailinglist is about PowerPC.

Yes but notice that I have clearly entitle the mail and this is the best
place to get information on airport config.

Thanks,
Christophe